пятница, 11 июля 2014 г.

CAE: Writing a Letter: Formal vs Informal

There are several types of letter you may have to write for CAE writing task:
- a letter to the editor of a newspaper or magazine;
- a letter of application or giving a reference for someone applying for a job;
- a letter to the director(s) of an organization or to a colledge principal;
- an informal letter to a friend.
 According to this, the style of your writng must vary: from extremely formal (if you write, for example, to the head of a company and your aim is to complaint) to relatevely formal (a letter to the editor) to quite informal (if you write to a friend).
In the table below I give examples of formal and informal expressions for every part of letter.

 

Part of Letter
FORMAL LETTER
INFORMAL LETTER
You don't know the person's name
You know the person's name
A friend
A very close friend or relative
Salutation
Dear Sir or Madam,
Dear Mr Emmett,
Dear Ms Brown,

Dear Charlie,
Hi / Hello Matt,
Reason for writing
- I am writing with regard / reference to the article which appeared (when / where)
- I am writing to express my concern about / dissatisfaction with / disappointment with / disapproval of / apologies for... (motivation)
- I am writing on behalf of (who) who have had concerns about... 
- I am writing in response to your (advertisement in the Times).
- I should like to apply for the position of (tourist guide).
- Great / Lovely to hear from you 
(after so long).
- It was great to get your letter / Thanks (a lot) for your letter asking about.../ Thanks for the lovely letter that I received yesterday.
- Sorry for not writing for so long / Sorry I haven't written / haven't been in touch for so long.
- Sorry to hear about your...
Body

2-3 paragraphs
Linking Words
To begin with / Firstly / In the first place / Secondly / Next / In addition / Moreover / Further more / What is more / In the same way as / Similarly / Lastly / Finally

Although / However / Nevertheless / Nonetheless / Whereas

Thus / Therefore / Consequently / Accordingly / Unfortunately

One thing / Another thing (was that...)
Besides / Also / Apart from this / that / And / And then / Besides / Just as
In the end / On top of that

But / So / On the other hand


Anyway / at any rate / because / because of
Ending
- I trust/very much hope you will (consider our ideas and suggestions)
- I would appreciate it / be grateful if you would 
- It seems only fair that you should...
- I look forward to receiving a response from you / I would be grateful for a reply at your earliest convenience.
- In light of the above I feel I am entitled to (a full refund and a formal apology )
- I must go now / I’d better get going / I’ll finish now as I’m running out of space
- Phone me as soon as possible / Write back soon and let me know how it goes
- Can’t wait to see you again
- Bye for now
- (Give my) love / regards to.../ Remember me to...
Signing off
Yours faithfully
Yours sincerely Yours
Best wishes
All the best Regards
Kind regards

Love
With love
Lots of love
All my love

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий