пятница, 25 июля 2014 г.

CAE Writing: Letter of Complaint


Sitting the CAE you might be asked to write several kinds of formal letters, each of them requiring the use of special expressions. In a letter of complaint, for example, you are supposed to say what you are dissatisfied with, make a demand and, alternatively, a  threat. 

Below are some useful expressions for carrying out these functions.



 

Beginning


I’m writing to complain about

Further to my letter of May 13th in connection with

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with….

Demand

 

I would be grateful to receive a cheque for the outstanding sum without further delay.

I would be very grateful if you could ensure that your sons turn their music down after 11 p.m.

Please would you be so kind as to dissuade your sons from playing such loud music so late at night.

I must insist that you deliver the piano with no further delay and at no additional expense to myself.

...would be appropriate compensation for the inconvenience caused to my family.

In view of the many ways in which it did not match the claims made for it in your publicity, I expect a substantial refund.

In light of the above I feel I am entitled to a full refund and a formal apology

Under the circumstances, I feel that an apology should be offered.

For these reasons, I would suggest that the cooker needs to be replaced at your earliest convenience.

I must ask you, therefore, to refund the full cost price of ...plus the postage of…

I do trust that you will be able to provide the flat with adequate means of heating before winter sets in.

Threat

 

I shall have no alternative but to put the matter in the hands of my solicitors should your cheque not be received by May 1st.

Unless I hear from you within 10 days, I shall have to take legal advice on the matter.

If I do not hear from you before May 3rd, I shall be obliged to take matters a step further.

If your son does not refrain from…in the future, I shall have no choice but to contact the police.

Should I receive no satisfaction, I will be forced to

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий