вторник, 15 июля 2014 г.

CAE: Writng a Letter: Formal vs Informal: Functions



When you are writing a letter / an e-mail for CAE, your task is not limited to narration, but you are also required to carry out other functions. Here I illustrate the usage of formal and informal expressions for some language functions that might appear in a letter.








Function
Formal
Informal
Thanking
Thank you for the most enjoyable and amusing book you sent me.

Thank you very much for your letter of the 6th December
Thanks for the great book - love the cartoons!

Thanks for the lovely letter that I received yesterday.
Requesting a favour
I was wondering if there might be any chance of your giving me some assistance with the project I am currently working on?
Could you possibly do me a favour? We are doing a school project and I’d be really grateful for some help with it.
Making a suggestion
Would it be convenient for you if we were to meet at the theatre next Saturday?
I hope it will be convenient for you if we collect you at 6. That should allow us to arrive in time for some refreshments.
How about meeting at the theatre next Saturday?

Ok if we pick you up at 6 and then we’ll have time for a drink or two?
Apologising
I must apologise for omitting to post you the report. It was inexcusable of me.

I apologise for the delay in replying to your letter. This was due to pressure of work.
I’m terribly sorry I forgot to post you the report.


I’m awfully sorry to have been slow in getting back to you but I’ve been dreadfully busy at work.
Complaining
I would be very grateful if you could ensure that your sons turn their music down after 11 p.m.

Please would you be so kind as to dissuade your sons from playing such loud music so late at night.


I wish your boys would stop playing their stereo so loud in the evening. It really  gets on my nerves.
Asking for Reply
I should very much appreciate a reply at your earliest convenience.
Do please write back to me soon. I’m longing to hear your news.
Expressing opinion about a person
She maintains that he is a pleasant person but I can’t accept her point of view.
She says he’s a nice guy but I think she’s off her head, don’t you?
Initial salutation
I hope that you and your family are keeping well.
How is the current situation? I hope that everything is satisfactory at present.
How’s life? All’s well, I hope.

How’s life? I hope all’s well with you these days.
Asking for information
I would be grateful if you could forward me some information about villas to rent on the Mediterranean coast.
Please send me some info about villas I could rent on the Med.
Giving contacts
You may contact me by telephone at the above number.
Ring me at the number I’ve given you.

Sources:
1. O'Dell F. CAE Writing Skills. CUP.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий